No, I am not a wedding crasher. I actually know all the people in these weddings and this is the third wedding I have been a groomsman within the last calender year. Actually, the first wedding I was in happened to be Memorial Day weekend last year in the same city with the reception taking place in the same venue. It seems I have come full circle in this wedding craziness. I need a break though.
PLANNING
On the plus side, I had an awesome time. This was my best friend's wedding and the only wedding of which I 100% approve and 100% wanted to be present. It was also the only wedding where the wedding party had their shit together. Everything was well planned, they weren't dropping task list bombs on me the night before the wedding which happened to me at one of the weddings. There was no confusion as to where we needed to be or when we needed to be there. The reception hall was less than half a mile from the church.The bridesmaid dresses were pretty and I didn't have to wear an ugly tuxedo, we wore black suits with skinny ties, tie bars and a pocket square which were all picked out and purchased by the groom. The black suit was an awesome choice because I already owned one. I don't have a problem with tuxedos except the weddings in which I wore a tux they were non-traditional so the only option was renting. I would have loved to just buy a tuxedo and own it instead of renting one for $200.
OPEN BAR
OPEN BAR DUDE!!! This is also the only wedding I went to which was full service open bar with four kegs, one of which was Shiner Bock. Well done. There were also free cigars which were pretty good as well. The food was good and there were hors d'oeuvres being served when the guests first arrived so that was extremely nice. Every other wedding I went to had quite a long wait between arrival and food with no appetizers in between. Poor planning I say. One negative mark on the catering company, I specifically asked for what time last call was and I was told 11:45pm. At 11:30pm, I and my friends made our way to the bar to slam a few beers and shots in the last fifteen minutes of serving. Much to our dismay, we were informed that cutoff policy for the hall was 11:30pm so we couldn't get anything. I was so fuckin pissed. No last call announcement AND the last call time I was quoted was incorrect. Bullshit. Related Note: Why is the hottest girl at the wedding always some girl working for the catering company? She's also usually the dumbest, ask someone else if you have any important questions like "What time is last call?"
MUSIC
Mexican wedding so there were mariachis and a lot of spanish music. Great fun dancing and a few really fun traditions. Plus, everyone at a Mexican wedding drinks so that tends to mean a good time. The mariachis left and then there was a band who played a variety of music but with the massive amount of Mexicans attending, the merengue, cumbia and various other spanish music was the type that got people out of their seats and on the dance floor.
WRAP UP
The end of the reception was the only crappy part. All the bridesmaids, except for one, bailed about an hour before the reception was over as did most of the groomsmen. I hung around like a good friend because there is not usually a plan for getting all the presents and whatever else out of the reception hall. The few of us who were left helped load up the vehicles and spent an hour while the decision makers figured out the deal. It took way longer than it should. After that was sorted, we finally got to leave and go to a bar with only thirty minutes left to drink by the time we got there.
Overall this was by far the BEST wedding I've ever been to or been a part of, HANDS DOWN. Everything was better executed and the people were a lot more fun. I also got to see a lot more friends I haven't seen in quite a while so it was great. Best wishes to my friends on their marriage.
PS: It never fails, every wedding I go to I get asked "When are you getting married?" It's a bit annoying since most of the people who ask are really serious. Amongst friends we always joke about it but the adults, usually aunts, uncles and parents, are always very serious and continually introducing you to their other family members in hopes of marrying off some of the other females in the family. Just think this is odd, that's all.
Sunday, May 29, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment